First Baptist Church was organized with thirteen charter members that met alternately with the Methodist Church in their building.

Oct 17, 1910

The old Church of Christ building was purchased from John D. Sasser, Jr., in the amount of $500.00.


The church began providing a home for the pastor with a frame house on the Sasser property.

May 15, 1915

One room frame building used for services was destroyed by a storm and later rebuilt.


Full time preaching began.

Easter, 1931

One room frame building burned. New church building was built – currently Fred’s.


Six Sunday School rooms and a baptistry were added to the back of the building.


Rooms were added to the sides.


The Williams Bass home was purchased.


Sunday School and Training Union were departmentalized and the annex on Main Street was purchased to accommodate these classes.


The William Bass home was sold back to him when the present parsonage was built.

Sep 1961

Construction on our present location began.

Jul 29, 1962

First church services were held at our present location.

Oct 6, 1976

The church authorized the construction of an addition to the parsonage, which included a bedroom, bath, utility room, double carport, and the enlargement of the den and kitchen.

Feb 9, 1983

The church voted to build an Educational-Activities Building. This building later became known as “The Family Life Center”.

Jul 28, 1985

The fourth Sunday of July was set aside as our Annual Homecoming Day with this being our first Homecoming.


We participated with the community in the “Homecoming 86” activities across the state of Tennessee.


The year we began Church Pictorial Directories – Directories made also in 1989,1992,1995,2000,2004, and 2008.

Mar 9, 1989

The church adopted the first Constitution and By-Laws and in 2004 two ammendments were made-one concerning The Lord’s Supper and the other concerning Trustees.

Jul 25, 1991

Construction began on our Sanctuary, which was preceded by a groundbreaking ceremony on July 21.

Mar 1, 1992

First service in the new sanctuary.


First Baptist Church officially incorporated as a non-profit organization as First Baptist Church of Middleton, TN, Inc.

Nov.30, 1999

Purchased a Baby Grand Piano for the Sanctuary.

Mar 14,2004

Purchased 2004 Chevy Express 15 passenger van.

Dec 8, 2004

The church voted to accept a donation of land from John and Jane Neely to the north of our property line. This added 2.73 acres to the church property.

July 24,2005

We celebrated 125 years during our annual Homecoming. Bro. Robert E. Tsyon, Sr. was our guest speaker.Former pastors in attendance were Bro. Jerald Palmer, Bro. Joe Littlefield, and Bro. Bill Whitman.


Church sustained damages in a lightning storm which affected the office computer, organ, and Fire Alarm System.


Church approved purchase of an Allen Protege Organ using funds from Organ Fund along with reimbursement funds from our insurance company. Payment made on Oct. 19, 2005.


Church approved the installation of a Multi-Media Projection System for worship services and the renovation of a balcony section to house the equipment.

Mar 7, 2007

Church approved the formation of our website known as middletonfbc.org.

Dec. 5, 2007

Upgrading the sound system in the Sanctuary.

Aug.6, 2008

Covered walkway and columns of the educational building were covered with vinyl siding and new lighting installed.


Church approved the publication of a cookbook by our Library Committee as a not-for-profit project to be sold at cost.

June 7,2009

Church adopted first Core Mission, Vision, and Core Values as presented by The Long Range Planning Commitee under the leadership of Dr. Eric L. Taylor.

Aug. 2009

Windows in the parsonage were replaced.

Sept.2, 2009

Approved the purchase of the 2008 Baptist Hymnal

Sept.13-16, 2009

Participated with Hardeman Association in the “On Mission Celebration”

Jan. 6, 2010

Church approved an estimated cost of $60,000.00 for renovations to the parsonage and also voted to purchase a 25 passenger bus.

Feb.24, 2010

New bus arrived on the church field – delivered by Carpenter Bus Sales in Nashville.

May 2010

Remodeled interior of parsonage.

April 7,2010

New church sign installed and balance paid on the purchase to High Profile Signs.

July 25,2010

Celebrated 130th anniversary of First Baptist with special guests, Henry “Greg” Simpson, Tim Simpson, James Pulliam and The Golden Sounds. Steve McKee, former Youth Minister, preached the morning message. Steve resigned his position to become the pastor of Pocahontas First Baptist.

Nov. 2011

Construction began on exterior renovations to the Family Life Center which were presented to the church on 6-2-10. Front of the building bricked and new canopies were added across the front and the right side of the building.